Thursday, April 14, 2011

Toy stories - Staking a Tinker

Here is the next set up I'm working on.  The truck is a Wyandotte Stake Truck dated around World War II - 1930's - 40's.  It is on loan from a VERY nice gentleman I met at an antique mall at a town 100 miles from home.   Bill Shideler has a booth at the Red Barn in Round Top and a website where he sales his antique toys.   This particular truck is made from pressed metal and has wooden wheels.

I told Bill that I've been using antique toys as subjects in my oil paintings to capture them before they deteriorate... he gifted me a Wyandotte  truck like Heavy Metal - but in much better condition (which I'll be using in a future painting) and loaned me this stake truck  and a tin mechanical airplane  and asked me to return them when I was finished!  There ought to be more trusting soles out there like Bill.

The horse toy is actually from Tinker Toys.  It was made pre-tinker toys (that we're familiar with) in Evanston, Illinois.  I ran across a sales ad which has it pictured  - dated 1927.  How fun is that!

The satined glass window has seen better days - probably 1940's.  The paint is peeling off the frame like crazy!  But the beautiful colored glass shaping the arrow is a gorgeous emerald and crimson.  I hope I can do it justice.

Here is the photo set up:



and the drawing:


 I'll be posting my progress daily.

4 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job with these antique toys! I especially like the window in the background. It adds so much to your design....especially the corners. It reminds me of another artist friend who gave me some wonderful advice years ago.....always design your corners....especially if you want the viewer to stay engaged. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positively one of my favorite setups of yours or by any other artist! Superb:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Anderson! I appreciate the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete